Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Thinking like Einstien

Poor Bessie has been forced over the last week to endure copious Einstein documentaries due to it being ‘Einstein week on fox’. Fortunately she has plenty of emails to respond to thanks to all the amazing responses we have received.

Anyway in watching Einstein’s life I realised the HUGE and varied hurdles he had to overcome to become the ‘genius’ we all know and love.

What he proposed was so vastly different to, not only what the top minds of the day said, but what logic dictated. So from the very start he was batting being called nuts from both without and within.

I really stoped to wonder how he was able to take such gargantuan leaps in thinking as to propose, and later prove, things like time slowing with speed and matter being concentrated energy.

Thinking/ living outside the box is what this Life Change Experiment is all about. Allowing your mind the freedom to roam and explore ideas and possibilities it would usually rule out.

It’s only in these moments of non judgment of our thoughts that we find our own genius & flow.

Unfortunately most of the time we are so fearful of loosing control of the familiar, we never give our real creative an opportunity to flex its muscles.

To be honest, I find the thought of who I might be, if I totally let go my inner critic and stepped fully into flow, physically scary. Yes I admit it. Full flow scares the pants of me.

I mean what would be expected of me if the comfort zone police in my head suddenly took a day off from keeping me 'safe' with comments like, ‘ohh I cant do that’, ‘No one will listen to me’ and ‘who are you kidding, your nothing special’.

Frightening stuff! But none the less stuff I intend to find out!

Truth is our brains are the most powerful pieces of matter on earth (and likely the universe), Yet rather than treating them like the creative Ferraris they are we use them to potter around like a bicycles, too afraid to put our foot down in case others laugh at us.

Thank god, Einstein, Edison, Picasso, Newton, and all the other creative geniuses that have shaped our lives had no quarms about stepping on the gas!

A little at a time I intend to re wire my inner critic and see what sort of horse power I can get out of this ol gray matter.

Its not that any of us lack genius, Its simply we lack the courage to be wrong on the path to expressing our genius!

Give yourself permission to be wrong, screw up, make mistake, get miserable, feel hurt – Then let it go and get on with the job of living n learning with no regreats.

11 comments:

  1. Very interesting commentary. I would agree that at times our feelings of self-worth or self-esteem limit our ability to think outside the box. Yesterday I was presented with the "opportunity" to do just that -- think about and act upon a different line of work...you see, yesterday I was told that my job was not going to be there come November.

    For any person, the loss of one's employment can be devastating...and for me it felt like the world had come crashing down on me. To be honest, I had been unhappy in my role, feeling like I was in a rut that I couldn't get out of. I had tossed up a few times the idea of looking, but I had settled into the safety of the job.

    So now, it is time for me to look outside the box -- think of a role that would excite me, and at the same time, scare me in terms of applying and interviewing for it. Time to let the bad feelings and hurt go, and look to the future...and not necessarily in the same field. My dream has always been to work for a non-profit or similar as it enables me to help others -- that is why volunteering for me is so important.

    So now I have 2 challenges -- the first is to rekindle (if possible) my relationship (because she is very very dear to me) and secondly, I need to gain employment. Both challenges are going to be hard work, but I have NEVER shied away from that.

    Having the Life Change Experiment to follow helps me to stay in the now, and it will be helpful for me to overcome the issues related to both challenges. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true what you're saying. After living with regret and guilt for two years, I finally just let go of the past by diving into the future instead. I thought it would be really hard, but it turned out to be the best thing I ever did, and a lot easier than I thought.

    Wishing you and your family all the best in your new venture through life, sounds quite exciting...

    regards, Snezana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking out of the box is easier said than done,i've been unemployed 4 6mths after the same job since I left school,Its all I know & now even though I have a great work record I cant get a good job,sorry I meen any job at all.
    I wish I could be more positive but the only thing really keeping me from drowning is ur BLOG.
    Thanksssss.

    grasshopper Mace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so true with what has been written, we can let go and learn to be ourselves once again without having to worry about what the next person thinks. Look at children in a park they will play with any child that comes along without worrying what clothes they are wearing or what car their parents drive. We need to stop being so precious because our life is the most precious thing of all!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only read bits of that blog, as staring at small writtinf on my tiny iPhone screen sends me cros eyed hahaha...( love my phone ) but found a point that captured me :)

    Be wrong, be scared, feel sad, get hurt,etc. Things you don't normally hear these days.
    I like it! It's ok to feel like sh¡t... It's ok to feel

    Don't judge your feelings



    Thank you :)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jarrah... i feel sorry for the situation you are in ... I hope you can see out the box soon... You need to stop telling yourself that you cant do anything else... Im a 30 year old mother of six children under 10... not " qualified " in anything... I decided that when my youngest is in school i dont want to be a checkout chick... so im currently studying towards a veterinary science degree.. because thats what i wanted to do before kids. I also just recently secured a job at a local company that is just opening. The hours i want to... no experience... all i took in was my enthusiasm... i told them i had 6 children, and that i had a very stressfull job and it would be nice to have a job to get a break from that... i was hired... There are many people who are put in seemingly impossible situations and allways end up ok... think outside the square... i did... imagine the qualification list i could put on a resume for myself... starting with... sports co-ordinater... conflict resolution.. laundry management... you get the idea... good luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your attitude Rach! they would have been mad to not hire someone with an outlook like yours.. what an asset! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life sends us many lessons.....and my belief is there is a reason for everything in this life.
    We are here to get over the hurdles (as hard as they may be) and Boy...I've had many in my life bringing up 3 children as a widow.
    But through it all...if I had my time over, I wouldnt change it for the world.
    I have the love of my children, the love of my grandchildren but most of all...I have something I searched 26 years for...PEACE OF MIND.
    Nothing or no-one shocks me......I am open to all suggestions and people from all walks of life...be they rich, poor, sad, happy.
    We only have one life...and even though I live on a disability pension...my life is RICH.
    I wish you all serenity and 'peace of mind' through your 'journies' through life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "rach dioth"
    Thanks so much rach dioth, your words of support meen a HELL of a LOT 2 me right now.
    I am going 2 Push on & on & on.
    Cheers
    Sincerly Grasshopper Mace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Give yourself permission to be wrong, screw up, make mistake, get miserable, feel hurt"

    ...this reminds me a lot of something that I heard from an author, who I respect immensely. I had spent 4 days at a "Writers Conference", designed to give aspiring writers a chance to work with, and pitch their ideas to, a variety of editors from several large publishing houses in Australia.
    That experience in itself was amazing, and on the final night, I asked the man hosting the event to sign a copy of one of his books for me, he did - writing "Take Chances" before his autograph.
    He told me that for years he had noticed people writing "Take Care" on letters, cards etc ~ parents saying it to their children, with the best of intentions, but he had grown to see that as one of the mistakes people make, trying to shield those they love ~ when sometimes the greatest gift we can give is to encourage those we love to take those risks, *not* play it too safe ~ basically;
    Take Chances!

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Lilly thats awesome!! I love that! thanks for sharing that story... it's something I will remember to use myself... there is nothing more exciting or rewarding in life than to "take chances"... its freedom, the essence of living...

    ReplyDelete